CRIP or BLOOD?

Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Yo Cube, i would love to know wheter you were crip or blood when you were younger. Maybe it's irelevant, i just want to know.
Love America!

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: CRIP or BLOOD?

Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 1:27 PM

I think he is more crip than blood,but who knows?

2. Re: CRIP or BLOOD?

Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 6:44 PM

http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2011/10/ice_cubes_death_certificate_tu.php

BlogsNews
    News HomeNews Blog: The InformerLetters to the EditorMusic
    Music HomeMusic Blog: West Coast SoundMusic PicksHenry Rollins: The Column!Lina Lecaro: NightrangerLina Lecaro: LinA In LAMusic NewsletterFind a Bar or ClubConcert CalendarSubmit an EventSummer Concert GuideMusic AdsCalendar
    Calendar HomeTop PicksHalloween EventsEvents NewsletterSubmit an EventEntertainment AdsRestaurants
    Restaurants HomeJonathan Gold's ReviewsFood Blog: Squid InkGold's First BiteAsk Mr. GoldGold's Essential 99 RestaurantsGold Standard NewsletterRestaurant GuideOnline Sponsored MenusRestaurant AdsHappy HoursRestaurant Coupons
    Arts
    Arts HomeArts Blog: Style CouncilTheaterArtBooksCalendarLA Weekly Theater AwardsFilms
    Film HomeTheatersBlog2010 Film PollThe Ads
    Ad IndexFlip BookMedia KitCouponsClassifieds
    Free Online ClassifiedsReal Estate for SaleAfter DarkVirtual Career FairAlternative HealingPersonalsPersonals BlogsBlogs
    The Informer: Breaking NewsWest Coast Sound: MusicSquid Ink: FoodStyle Council: Arts & CultureAfter Dark: SexVoice FilmSlideshowsColumns
    Gendy Alimurung: CandylandGustavo Arellano: Ask a Mexican!Amy Alkon: Advice GoddessJonathan Gold: Counter IntelligenceJonathan Gold: Ask Mr. GoldJonathan Gold: First BiteLina Lecaro: LinA In LALina Lecaro: NightrangerSteven Leigh Morris: Stage RawHenry Rollins: The Column!Dan Savage: Savage LoveSam Slovick: PavementHoroscopeBest Of
    Best Of HomeBars & ClubsFood & DrinkPeople & PlacesArts & EntertainmentShopping & ServicesSports & RecreationBest Of AdsDownload the AppBars/Clubs
    Bars + Clubs HomeBar+Club AdsMarijuana DispensariesAfter DarkHappy HoursBars/Clubs CouponsArchives
    Advanced Archive SearchLocations MapEvent SearchMobile Promotions
    Ad IndexEventsFlipbookWeb AwardsTxt AlertsStreet TeamJoin the Street TeamOn Sale!Free StuffHappy Hours AppMobileVOICE Daily DealsNewsletter SamplesFollow UsCoupons
    Coupons/Deals HomeBars/Clubs CouponsEntertainment CouponsHealth & Beauty CouponsRestaurants CouponsRetail CouponsServices CouponsVOICE Daily Deals

blog

Stories

Top 20 L.A. Rap Albums
    Full List: The Top 20 L.A. Rap Albums
    By LA Weekly
    Fuck Guilty Pleasures
    Chris Brown Can Do No Wrong
    By Rebecca Haithcoat
    Incredibly Strange
    Indie Rock Strippers FTW
    By Ben Westhoff
    Interview
    Interview With Portishead's Geoff Barrow
    By Lainna Fader
    Interview
    Ximena On Why The Valley Trumps Echo Park
    By Andrea Domanick
    Remix
    Hip-Hop's Strange Co-Sign Of Justin Bieber
    By Phillip Mlynar
    Live in L.A.
    Iggy Azalea, Hip-Hop Bombshell
    By Rebecca Haithcoat
    Danzig-palooza
    Danzig's Craziest Stalker
    By LA Weekly
    Blast From the Past
    The True Story Behind Cube's "My Summer Vacation"
    By Ben Westhoff
    DJ culture
    Girls Who Look Like Skrillex
    By Liz Ohanesian
    Top 20 L.A. Rap Albums
    Full List: The Top 20 L.A. Rap Albums
    By LA Weekly
    Fuck Guilty Pleasures
    Chris Brown Can Do No Wrong
    By Rebecca Haithcoat
    Incredibly Strange
    Indie Rock Strippers FTW
    By Ben Westhoff
    Interview
    Interview With Portishead's Geoff Barrow
    By Lainna Fader
    Interview
    Ximena On Why The Valley Trumps Echo Park
    By Andrea Domanick
    Remix
    Hip-Hop's Strange Co-Sign Of Justin Bieber
    By Phillip Mlynar
    Live in L.A.
    Iggy Azalea, Hip-Hop Bombshell
    By Rebecca Haithcoat
    Danzig-palooza
    Danzig's Craziest Stalker
    By LA Weekly
    4 Blast From the Past
    Ice Cube's Death Certificate Turns 20: The True Story Behind "My Summer Vacation"By Ben Westhoff Wed., Oct. 26 2011 at 8:48 AM Comments (4) Categories: Blast From the Past
    Share0diggsdigg

​See also: Ice Cube Talks Art, Boyz n the Hood, and Why He Makes Comedies

This week Ice Cube's Death Certificate celebrates its 20th anniversary. The album -- which we ranked number seven on our list of the top 20 greatest L.A. rap albums of all time -- is politically bombastic in a way hip-hop albums no longer are. Taking specific aim at the police, the government, Korean grocery store owners, white men lusting for black women, and countless other targets, it's startlingly apolitically-correct. Hearing it nowadays in an era where no one wants to offend anyone is pleasantly jarring.

One of work's best tracks, "My Summer Vacation," however, concerns itself not with politics. Instead, it spins a great yarn about L.A. drug dealers who -- in an effort to escape police scrutiny and increase their profits -- head to St. Louis one summer to ply their trade. It turns out that the song has a basis in real life.

In L.A. everybody and they momma sell dope
    They tryin' to stop it
    So what the fuck can I do to make a profit?
    Catch a flight to St. Louis

Back in 2005, while working as a staff writer at LA Weekly's sister paper Riverfront Times in St. Louis, I investigated the background of the song.

It turns out that though Cube most likely didn't experience the described events himself, he got the tale directly from a pair of Da Lench Mob members, Shorty and J-Dee. According to St. Louisans I talked to, their story indeed checks out. In fact, in the mid-'80s it was quite common for L.A. gang members to descend upon landlocked locales around the country and attempt to set up shop. Along with their dope, they also brought their slang, their gang signs, and even their drive-by shootings. Suddenly, folks were repping spots like Inglewood with which they were likely previously unfamiliar.

Some of them are even lookin up to us
    Wearing our colors and talkin that gang fuss
    Giving up much love
    Dyin' for a street, that they ain't even heard of

1 | 2 | 3 | Next Page >>
    Tags:
    Death Certificate, Ice Cube, My Summer Vacation
    http://www.westcoastrydaz.com/profile/LunawestcoastToaster6
    Visit WestCoastRydaz.Com
    http://www.thisis50.com/profile/LUNAWESTCOAST
    Visit ThisIs50.com
    http://www.rayj.com/profile/LunaWestcoast